Downtown & villages



47° 43' N, 7° 40' E are the geographical co-ordinates of the centre of downtown Kandern, 352 m above sea level. The lowest point in town is at 280 m, the highest at 711 m above sea level.
The total surface is 6.227 Hectares. 3.251 Hectare forests justify the membership in the Nature Park Southern Black Forest.
Creeks on the town’s territory (length) are: Kander (12 km),
Lippisbach (5,1 km), Wollbach (9,3 km), Feuerbach (8,4 km).
Downtown Kandern lies on Lippisbach and Kander.
Town quarters are Feuerbach, Holzen, Riedlingen, Sitzenkirch, Tannenkirch, Wollbach and downtown Kandern.
Their territories are shown on the map.

On December 31th, 2015, the total population was 8429. The distribution to the quarters of Kandern is noted in the following table.


Kanderns Stadtteile
(Klicken vergrößert)
 
Town quarter

          surface

people

first documents in
Kernstadt Kandern
1508
  4272
  733
Feuerbach
397
  339   1275
Holzen
724

648

1249
Riedlingen
600

609

972
Sitzenkirch
384

278

1120
Tannenkirch
754

948

1179
Wollbach
1860

1335

767


Downtown Kandern


Downtown Kandern was a mining town in early industrial times, using the local deposit of iron ore of poor quality. The production of bricks and pottery was based on the deposits of fine potter’s clay. Also the making of barrels from the wood in the town’s forests became popular for a long time. The Museum of local traditions and pottery, “Heimat- und Keramikmuseum” presents the interesting history.
Since 1690, a weekly market was held on a regular basis. Later, two fairs were established in May and in October. In remembrance of the former cattle market, the most important local feast, called “Rossmärt” (i.e. horse market) is held in September. It follows a horse show and goes along with the “Budenfest”, a feast in brightly decorated booths.

Circuits in Kandern, starting in downtown Kandern: August-Macke-Rundweg Walderlebnispfad Planetenweg
street map
map of the town
to the top
 

School, Ev. Church, former brick factory
 

Feuerbach



Feuerbach im Winter
The village of Feuerbach is a well-known by its red wine, growing on 12 Hectares. In the medieval, it was owned by the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. In 1503, the margrave of Baden took it over. In the Baden territory, 1556 the reformation took place and the population became protestant. Instead of the medieval church, in 1846 the actual church was erected.
Since 1974, Feuerbach is a quarter of the then new greater Kandern town. There is Citizen House with rooms for the local administration, the youth club and the fire fighters. A Village Hall serves the active associations and private users.

Wikipedia-Lexikoneintrag
Ortsplan Feuerbach
to the top
 
 
Holzen

Holzen is named “Storchendorf”, the village of the stork. Since 1979, in an enclosure, about 30 storks are hold. Grown up, they often find their place on the steeples of the churches in the neighbouring villages.
The town hall houses the local administrationand the local youth club.
Neat modern quarters  complement the traditional village.
Wineyards cover a surface of 1473 ar.  Thus, viticulture is an important part of agriculture in Holzen.

Circuits in Kandern, starting in  Holzen:
map of Holzen
Holzen im Web - die Informationsplattform des Stadtteils
to the top
 

Storchenblick auf Holzen
 

Riedlingen


Rathaus Riedlingen
The village in the floodplain of the Feuerbach was settled in early alemannic times (grave finds). There is a traditional centre, including the church and former farm houses. In addition, you can find modern residential houses on the hillside of the Schorner, a forested hill to the north of the road to Kandern. In the south-west, one of the commercial areas of the town is located. Kandern’s golf resort lies within the bounds of Riedlingen.
Much attention is paid to the “Theater im Hof”, a seasonal modern theatre giving performances in the romantic courtyard of an old farm two weeks in summer (and occasionally in frosty winter).
map of Riedlingen
to the top
 
 

Sitzenkirch

Worth seeing in Sitzenkirch are the Minster with marvellous tomb slabs in the choir and, on the other side of the street, a reconstructed overshot mill-wheel. The church dates from 1290, built in Romanesque style. Up to the reformation, there was a nunnery to the right of the church. In the Peasant War (about 1525) the village except for the church totally destroyed. Until 1805 the nunnery was owned and administrated by the monastery in St. Blasien, which had a huge territory in the southern black forest.

Informationsblatt der Ortsverwaltung  
map of Sitzenkirch  
to the top
 

Mühle und Kirche, gezeichnet zur Mühlradeinweihung 2004

  Tannenkirch

A typical farm
Original Markgräflerland







Barrel making - local museum
Inside the Museum of coopers
The unique position on the southern hillside of the “Hohe Schule” allows clear views over Alsace, the black forest and, overlooking the Jura Mountains, over the snowy Alps of Bern.
The hamlets Gupf, Ettingen Uttnach and Tannenkirch make up the modern village Tannenkirch.
The church has original frescos from the medieval and a stork nest on its steeple.
On the Sausenhard hill, there was a traditional meeting place for the noblemen and peasants in the Margraviate of the Sausenburg (which later became a part of Baden). The estate Kaltenherberge is a former coaching inn on the way from Basel to Frankfurt.
Local business includes agriculture, viticulture (on 2262 ar), handicraft and farm machine trading.

Museum of coopers in the townhall of Tannenkirch

Circuits in Kandern, starting in Tannenkirch:
Steingäßle-Rundweg (Weinlehrpfad)

map of Tannenkirch
map of Gupf - Kalte Herberge 

Tannenkirch Web - presenting the village

to the top
 
 

Wollbach

Kandern’s  quarter with the greatest surface includes the old village Wollbach and the hamlets Egerten, Egisholz, Hammerstein and Nebenau. Interesting are the historical water mills: Bruckmühle, Bannmühle and Hammersteiner Mühle. Wollbach has  a number of public institutions, namely a kindergarten and the Kandertalhalle (a public hall).  Also, there exists a private museum with paintings by Max Boehlen, an artist who dwelled in the Jägerhaus. This house nowadays is museum and restaurant.
In Nebenau, in a pittoresque valley, you can see a historical limekiln.


Circuits in Kandern, starting in Wollbach:
Planetenweg Geologiepfad

Wollbach im Web - presenting the village

Wikipedia-Lexikoneintrag
map of Wollbach 
map of Egerten Nebenau
map of Hammerstein
to the top
 

Rathaus Wollbach








































InfodeskTourismEventsNewsGallery
The TownDowntown & villagesHistory & futureStatisticsTwintown SoufflenheimMayor & CouncilPublic InstitutionsMunicipality onlineLocal economyReligionCultureSports & LeisureHolzen im WebTannenkirch in the webWollbach im WebInternalFlüchtlingshilfe KandernPromotion measuresWahlenHochwassergefahrenkartenBebauungspläneInformationen DSGVO
ContactAccessAEC KandernLinks
HomePrivacyImprintSitemap

Intro